Wednesday, October 8, 2008

I see more collaboration in my future

To add a little experience to my work with Google project hosting, as discussed in my previous entry, John Zhou has reciprocated the sharing of code and set up his own stack project page. Similar to my work on the stack-johnson project, I was able to easily set up stack-johnzhou on my workspace and do some modifications. His code seemed clean and tested. The output location was correct as well. I just added the simple clear method to the stack class and ran verify. Of course Emma coverage dropped without some testing, but it is otherwise still able to compile and verify.

Overall, most of the tools used in regards to SVN were very simple to set up and use. However, I'm sure there's much more to be discovered about them that help prove that a tool can be easy to use, yet immensely powerful with some experience. The difference between his method of collaborative programming and the process I used with Arthur Shum on our CodeRuler project are immediately obvious and profound. Arthur and I's manual sharing and combining of code for that was tedious and time consuming. Also, during this project, John showed me how to use ant tools in Eclipse, rather than the command line, just by right clicking an xml file and selecting Run As... Ant. I felt downright silly for not having found that earlier!

No comments: